- 1 (2 to 3 pound) butternut squash, peeled and seeded
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cut squash into 1-inch chunks.
- In large pot melt butter. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add squash and stock. Bring to a simmer and cook until squash is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove squash chunks with slotted spoon and place in a blender and puree.
- Return blended squash to pot. Stir and season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Serve.